Top Social

Contact Us

The Value of a Wedding Album

Thursday, March 27, 2014
There is a hallway in my parent’s house that is lined with old family photos – the most prized one, an old, faded black and white photograph of my grandparents’ wedding from 1923.

Fast forward three generations and about 100 years and you find us; the most visually literate generation to have ever walked this planet.  Everyone from the age of 8 on has a camera in their pocket. Whole social media sites have become dedicated to sharing our images, all over the world, instantly.  You can even add filters.

Fast forward another generation and the little girls of today are the brides of tomorrow.  And some day, as our children prepare for their own weddings, they will inevitably want to see pictures from our own.  Time to dust off the old iPhone 4s and hope the battery still works. Or log on to…wait. What was it called? Oh yea, Facebook.  We are an entire generation without tangible photographs.  What happens when your computer dies, or your cell becomes obsolete or your favorite social media site no longer exists…remember Myspace?

As a wedding photographer it is not only my job to create beautiful and timeless images, but to record for future generations, a truly historical event in a family; the birth of a marriage.  If my grandparents hadn’t gotten married in 1923, I wouldn’t be here.  Let that sink in. I owe my existence to an event that happened almost 100 years ago – I’d kind of like to see that.  And if it wasn’t for that tattered old photograph in my parents’ house, I never would have gotten to see my grandmother as a bride or how proud my grandfather looked in his three-piece suit.

The value of your wedding album spans the distance of time; it preserves, for generations, the moment that you became husband and wife and the beginning of your own family tree.  It has taken me a while to truly understand the value of that – whenever you lose someone, those dusty old binders filled with old pictures are what the family gathers around to remember, laugh, learn and reflect. 

What will we gather around in generations to come? 






Post Comment
Post a Comment